So today one of my best friends asked me if my kids ever did "sneaky" things. I thought about it for a minute and couldn't really think of anything worse than The Hero who has a habit of getting his hand caught in the cookie jar (and I say that quite literally) from time to time. My daughters were within earshot when the question was posed but I seriously couldn't think of anything sneaky they had ever done.
Lo and behold, this evening, my oldest (10) comes shuffling downstairs and tells me, with tears in her eyes and a trembling voice that she won't be able to go to sleep until she confesses something sneaky that she had done. Taken aback, I patted my knee and she came and snuggled me and shakily told me that yesterday, while I was running, she had removed the screen from her bedroom window and crawled out on the ROOF. Not only she, but her 8 year old sister had accompanied her (recall with me if you will the account of Anne walking the ridgepole of Moody Spurgeon's summer kitchen?). Dear me, those two little rotters!
I'm afraid I may be taking their lives in my hands if I continue to read them any more of Anne's (mis)adventures. But truth be told, their recitation of poetry has become such a joy to my ears. Anne's brought some added adventure into their lives, but some culture too :)
Prairie Portraits
Pictures and prose of the people I treasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I waited QUITE a bit longer than 8 & 10 to confess to my mother my adventures on our roof! Those lovely dream-filled girls of yours continue to make me smile... ridgepole-inspired to be sure!
LOL - Anne was the FIRST thing I thought when I started reading this :)
LOL, what creative & adventurous girls! My 3 yr old is in a sneaky stage too... The other night he was in the bathroom a really long time & said he was going potty. Later on my husband realized he did go potty but he also used his brothers brand-new toothbrush with the suction cup bottom!! LOL Little stinker!! There was toothpaste everywhere & the toothbrush was "plungered" to the side of the vanity! He also snuck in the classroom & cut open a bag of candy I wouldn't open for him...lol
Post a Comment